Tuesday 13 December 2011

Turkey Piquant

This is yet another long-standing entry from my well-thumbed recipe book.  I know it's been around a while as said recipe book was started to give me self catering ideas when I went to University many, many moons ago!

In my student days, it was a cheap meal to make and lasted me the best part of a week.  It requires basic ingredients and is good with either a jacket potato or rice as accompaniment.  I remember I used to add frozen peas to the rice mix when at Uni in a nod towards increasing my vitamin intake.

To make a panful, serving 3 with healthy appetites, we used

450g turkey breast, diced into even sized pieces
one bunch salad onions, washed and sliced
25g butter
2 Tbsp cornflour, seasoned
2 Tbsp redcurrant jelly
1" piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced (or 1 heaped tsp ground ginger)
One orange, juiced.

First of all, we added the cornflour to a bowl and seasoned generously with black pepper and a sprinkle of salt. We then coated the turkey pieces in the seasoned cornflour.  Whilst this was being done, we melted the butter over a low heat in a large saucepan and lightly cooked the sliced onions and ginger.

Next, the turkey was added to the pan and slowly browned over a medium heat.  Once it was browned, the redcurrant jelly was added, stirred through and gently allowed to melt.  Finally, the orange juice was poured into the pan.  The contents were mixed well, the pan was covered and left to simmer on  a low heat for 20-25 minutes.  (At this point you could transfer to a slow cooker to cook through and be ready later in the day)

Once the turkey was cooked through and the sauce had thickened it was served with a jacket potato.

It can also be served with wholegrain rice and peas.  This will make the amount serve 3/4 comfortably.

This keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days (ensure you reheat it thoroughly) or can be frozen (again defrost slowly and ensure it's heated through properly before serving.)

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks lovely - a great idea! Ah, I remember my student days well, and am still cooking from my homemade recipe book, too!

    Hoping you all have a lovely Christmas,

    Charlotte X
    @gofreecakes

    ReplyDelete