Looking for something to do with the contents of our veg box we decided a curry would be a good idea. Having searched online, we found this recipe.
The ingredients we used were:-
- 1 butternut squash - peeled, de-seeded and cubed
- 1 packet fresh spinach - washed and drained, stems removed
- 1 onion - sliced
- 1 thumb-sized knob of fresh ginger - peeled and diced finely
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 bruised cardamom pods
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 500 ml vegetable stock - we made ours up from Gluten Free Bouillon powder
- tin coconut milk - we used about 100ml
- Sunflower oil for frying
The onion was fried until starting to soften in a little sunflower oil. Once it was starting to caramelise, the spices and ginger were added and cooked for about a minute.
Then the prepared butternut squash was added and covered with the vegetable stock before being simmered until the squash was cooked.
At this point the coconut milk was added - we used about half a tin - and combined it through before returning to the heat.
Next, the spinach leaves were added and the curry was covered and heated over a moderate heat until the leaves were wilted.