Recently, we have tried making it with Dove's Farm Gluten Free Flour and it's been declared a great success once more!
As the weekend was a bit of a wash out for us, Sunday afternoon became a baking time and plum streusel was one of the cakes we decided to bake. So, a 20cm/8"spring form baking tin was lined with a greaseproof cake case and the oven was set to heat to 180ºC (fan oven).
Next we gathered the ingredients as follows:-
For the base
- 125g caster sugar
- 175g butter, softened
- 2 medium size eggs
- 125g self raising flour, sifted (we use Dove's Farm Gluten Free SR Flour)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 680g punnet plums, halved and stoned
For the topping
- 125g plain flour, sieved (again, we use Dove's Farm Gluten Free Plain Flour)
- 25g ground almonds
- 50g demerara sugar
- 25g toasted flaked almonds
- Having softened the butter, 125g of butter and the sugar was creamed into the mix until it was light and fluffy.
- Next the eggs, SR flour and vanilla extract were added to the mix and beaten until well combined.
- The mix was then spread over the base of the cake tin and the plums were arranged, cut side down on top.
- The remaining ingredients (apart from the demerara sugar) were placed in a bowl and rubbed together to make a crumble topping. The demerara was then stirred into the topping mix.
- Next, the topping was put on top of the plums and the tin was gently shaken to spread the topping evenly.
- Finally, the cake was then placed in the oven to bake for 60-70 minutes (this can vary a bit, so keep checking after about an hour)
If the top is cooking too quickly, cover with a piece of greaseproof paper or foil for the remainder of the cooking time.
It was then cooled, in the tin, before being devoured with creme fraiche as a pudding.
Store in an airtight container.
We also cooked a brand-new-to-us Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe, it will feature in an upcoming blog post... when we've fully taste tested it!